New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sublime11

408 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  09:53:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for some tips and knowledge from the experienced designers and those who have dealt with city officials and parks departments. My home town, Pana, is about 45min. South of Decatur and needs a course. I haven't spoke to any city officials but I do have some connections as my uncle is the city clerk. I have however spoke with my highschool welding instructor and he is looking for projects to have his students do and said that the baskets would be perfect. I sent him dimensions and he is excited about the great publicity the school could get out of this for giving back to the community. Just some ideas that we were throwing around and I know that manufacturing our own baskets as opposed to buying them may cause problems with sanctioning of tournaments. The upside is cost. Since he is the landscaping and horticulture teacher he said they could probably do the concrete work as well. There is a great park located in the middle of town with plenty of room and good mature trees to use as well as a lagoon with and island in the middle that could be used as well. It's a very flat piece of land but I could see a course comparable to Pontiac as a possibility. I'm new to the process so open to any ideas or suggestions as far as proposing this to the city and fundraisers..... Go

TreeClimber

84 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2012 :  19:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can get a hold of Dana Vicich, I'm sure he could give you some tips. He did a great job with Pontiac. A tip, bring multiple people in to help design and develop routes from all throwing styles. The reason Dana's designs work: he's ambidexterous. Find a lefty, a righty, a flicker, a back-hander. keep it easy enough for beginners (make it challenge them to get better) but challenging enough to attract more experienced players. I'd be more than willing to help a little if needed. I used to set up a temp basket at my house w/ 8 acres of trees and ponds to play with and just designed holes one by one from different positions. That's my 2 cents.

Aaron
PDGA #36087
Go to Top of Page

Finchd4
Starting Member

33 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2012 :  09:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm located in Decatur, and wouldn't be opposed to going down and checking some lanes for you. I'm one of those ambidextrious people he mentioned. Got a left handed for and back hand as well as a right handed back hand.

David
PDGA# 52685
Go to Top of Page

TDC

126 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  07:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich, Great idea. I have some relatives still living in Pana. My Uncle retired about 15 years ago, but was the city manager and city water commissioner for many years. He may be able to help with contacts if you need it.

Good luck, I would love to play a course down there

-Tim-
We do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing -- Benjamin Franklin
Go to Top of Page

macnagle

1896 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2012 :  15:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the biggest hurdle is just getting the town to say YES to using a park for DG. So, get some positive DG testimonials from park districts that are about the same size as Pana - Eureka and Roanoke are two places that come to mind. I am sure there are many others towns you can ID. Then, once Pana is convinced DG is viable, you might be surprised to find they have some money. $10,000 is not a huge sum when it comes to a park and rec expenditure and that's about what it takes for an 18-holer with concrete and signs - even less if you are diligent - and it sounds like you already can cut some of the costs. There are all sorts of grants and things that a town like Pana may have access too. I know U R a good salesman - get prepared and go for it!

Footnote: Luckily, here in BN, the cities have paid for our courses. It took several years for Normal to say YES (a new P&R director came in). Bloomington was easy. Maxwell was such a hit that they called asking for a design at PJ. I think Rob worked Bloomington for awhile with Forrest Park
Go to Top of Page

thespudster
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2012 :  14:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me know , pana is near my summer home in tower hill, Illinois .

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

sublime11

408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2012 :  12:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe one of these day but not soon. I thought when I started this post that I would have a lot of free time on my hands. Heh. Now I'd have to schedule time to plan time, to think about planning it.
Go to Top of Page

thespudster
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2012 :  04:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll look over the holidays , Nov and Dec.

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2012 :  12:58:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn had to register again
airspuds = thespudster = 10569

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchell_Park

might be good idea to contact the " ball " golf course next to this park as well.

Ill be down there this weekend

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  21:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when I drove thru the park, first thing i thought was Pontiac .

the park is 40 acres , the golf course next to it looks the same so 40 acres

first off, you have to identify the off limit areas
there are several , Rte 51 road , ball fields , swing sets .
pavillion , basket ball court , tennis court , the cement bridge and oh yeah
shuffle board as well

so now we know where not to throw, quite a bit actually.

here's 18 holes kinda jammed in
design can work backwards as well

I see a couple of great lagoon holes
kinda like hidden lake park in merrillville indiana

I think there is a great 12 basket course that can be set up.

not sure how much space is actually out there , i jammed in 3 in that one spot and only 4 in the other
but as the map shows its a little cramped possibly

now if you add the 9 hole ball course to the equation
then I think you have a potential 27 basket course

thoughts ???

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2012 :  21:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dang how to post map
here;s link to map

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=kitchell+park+pana+il&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1549&bih=687&wrapid=tljp1353901432071032&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=hOWyUPLzLYrGygHnvYDgAg&sqi=2&ved=0CAUQ_AUoAA

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  07:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lots of views but no comments
ill be down at xmas
thoughts
anyone ?

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2012 :  14:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent some time out there today, nice potential if done correctly.

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2013 :  11:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bump

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page

sublime11

408 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  20:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been on here in a loooong time and was very surprise dot see the interest. I love that there are others out there daydreaming about plastic flying through the air wherever it maybe possible. Yeah it was a lot of potential and hopefully one of these days I will have the time to pursue it... That is if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Go to Top of Page

Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  10:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bump , headed down to t Hill the next 2 weekends

pdga # 10569
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: